Cathy Pescevich Kreplin: Vocalist, Flutist, Pianist / Piano Accompanist, Music Director
Thanks for visiting
I look forward to talking with you about our shared heart’s desire – music! I offer lessons in voice, piano and flute. Also, workshops in music theory, improvisation, ensemble playing, and vocal arts. All ages and levels of music student are welcome. Comprehensive, holistic music making skills that last a lifetime are what I wish to share with you.
In my studio, you’ll learn to
understand the language of music and of your instrument, read and write music, sight sing, and practice effectively. You’ll achieve excellent breath management and body alignment, consistently beautiful tone production, strong and reliable technique. Vocalists extend their natural range, use clear diction, sing in foreign languages, and harmonize. All students learn to play in ensemble, improvise, arrange, listen well and critically, conquer pitch problems, and deepen their understanding of rhythm. Performance opportunities, audition preparation – everything is done in harmony with your goals.READ MORE
Lifelong musical teaching artist
– vocalist, flutist, piano accompanist and music director. Decades of experience, formal education and private training have prepared me well to serve you. I hold a double Bachelors of Science in Performance (voice/flute) and Music Technology (audio engineering) from New York University. My degree was earned through coursework at Yale University, New York University, and the Institute of Audio Research in New York City. I was fortunate to have 14 years of private study in the private studios of Anna Freund (Metropolitan Opera), John Kuhn (Metropolitan Opera) and Marianna Busching (Peabody Conservatory), among others. A few highlights of my professional career include off-off Broadway theater, professional summer theater, Virginia Symphony Chorus Professional Core, Masterworks Chorus (D.C.), touring vocalist/flutist of Troubadours Nouveaux and Duo Romantico, Music Director and Vocal Arts Instructor for Center Players Arts of the Albemarle Children’s Theater School. I look forward to meeting you and getting started on your musical journey! Call me at 252-955-0706.
While I have taught music for more than 40 years, since 2009 I have devoted myself full time to private teaching. Together with my husband and partner, classical guitarist Gordon Kreplin, we have built Ascencion Music Academy, a studio music school where classical, jazz, commercial and folk musicians are equally at home. Technique, literacy, musicianship, improvisation, new music creation, and performance are equally well emphasized.
My teaching methods
vary to suit the individual needs of each student. My instructional philosophy is informed by the work of Dalcroze, Orff, and Kodaly, all proponents of student-centered learning with heavy emphasis on rhythm and deep listening skills. I use methods and materials from the Berklee School of Music, the Royal Conservatory Music Development Program, the Associated Boards of Royal Schools of Music and by recognized masters such as Mathilde Marchesi, Anne Peckham, Trevor Wye, Randall and Nancy Faber, Charles Louis Hanon and more. Each year, my students have multiple opportunities to perform publicly and to participate in festivals and competitions, according to their wishes.
Parents and guests in lessons
For school-aged music students, parental participation in lesson is welcomed and encouraged! Smooth and effective transitions from lesson to home study and back are vital as we develop practice habits to support joyful lifelong music-making. Parents are highly valued “music buddies.”
Friends, siblings and other family members are welcome in lesson, one at a time and with advance permission of the teacher.
PRESS KIT (clickable links)
- Active concert artist with guitarist Gordon Kreplin: Duo Romantico.
- Co-Owner and Co-Director of Ascencion Music Academy.
- More than 40 years of experience as private teacher.
- Music Director, Grace Lutheran Church by the Sea in Nags Head
- Music Director, Roanoke Island Presbyterian Church in Manteo
- Member, Board of Directors of the North Carolina Music Teachers Association (NCMTA).
- Webmaster, NCMTA.
- Available to premiere new works for voice and flute.
- Completed all levels of piano pedagogy and music theory pedagogy coursework (elementary through advanced, preparatory through diploma) with the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto . 2017-2022.
- Certified Musikgarten Teacher.
- Member of MTNA, NCMTA, NATS and NCNATS
Some past career HIGHLIGHTS
- Instructor and Coach, Vocal Arts, Center Players Children’s Theater School and Company.
- Music Director, Center Players Children’s Theater Company.
- Music Director, Center Singers Voice & Rhythm Ensemble.
- Virginia Symphony Chorus Professional Core Vocalisthttps://virginiasymphony.org/vso-chorus/.
- Youth Music Director, St. Andrews by the Sea in Nags Head, NC.
- Founder & Co-owner/Producer/Engineer for Ascencion Recordings record label.
- Studio Engineer and editor, Vanguard Records, NYC.
- Off-off Broadway repertory company – Process Studio Theater.
- Actors’ Equity Member Actor.
- Maine State Music Theater performer and apprentice
- Post-university vocal study in the private studios of John Kuhn (Metropolitan Opera), Marianna Bushing (Peabody Conservatory) and Alan Bowers (NYC).
- Double Bachelor of Science cum laude in Music and Technology from New York University. This pioneering hybrid degree was earned through combined coursework from Yale University, New York University and The Institute of Audio Research in New York City.
- Founding member of “Something Extra”, Yale’s first all-female glee club.
- Music training began pre-school. Fourteen years private training, plus formal music education.