The Process – music is its own reward.
In class, we are about the process of music making, rather than performance. Children are discovering their own musicality and learning musical concepts in age-appropriate, holistic ways. Hearing and responding back to melodic patterns with the voice and to rhythmic patterns with instruments, experiencing a steady beat in body movements, listening closely to sounds to identify them, telling stories through sound and movement, dancing, singing folk songs and lullabies from around the world – these are just a few of the ways in which our youngest musicians begin developing their musicianship and musical skills. One child’s response to a new song might be singing, while another child’s equally good response might be listening. Music is its own reward.
Our program of music for young children is described in detail below. Register today!
- Small Fries is our program of general music for young children in early elementary school and late pre-school, ages 4 to 7. Grownups, this is a drop-off class. Over the course of this instrument-centered six-week mini-mester, your child will be introduced to piano, drums, guitar, music notation and more. Together, students and teachers sing, listen, dance, play games and instruments, explore sounds, and improvise. Six students, one lead teacher and one teacher assistant. Register Now!
- Family Music for Toddlers (15-36 months) is Musikgarten’s series of carefully researched and sequenced courses for children from 15 to 36 months. Four children, each with one grown-up, and one teacher. Register Now!
- Pre K Makers are three to SIX years old. As in Small Fries, the program is holistic general music, instrument-centered, with singing and musical storytelling, too! Can be drop-off or with on parent. Four children and one teacher. Register Now!
REGARDING ALL Children’s Music Classes
- Enrolling your child in music class at a young age is a wise and wonderful choice. Don’t worry about your child’s initial ability to sing on pitch, play an instrument, or keep a steady beat. These skills develop over time and the earlier the child begins, the more easily things flow.
- The beneﬁts of early music education are many. Music immerses the child in language, enhances brain functioning, and fosters physical coordination. Music improves overall development and decreases learning problems. Music has even been connected with resiliency—the ability to bounce back after a disturbing event.
- Your child will participate when ready; please allow and embrace this! Try not to worry if your child doesn’t appear to “get it” with every skill right off the bat. With time, everyone moves along in his or her own way. Our purposefully small class size allow our teachers to respond to the individuals they have in each group.
- Toddler Parents – If you find your child’s behavior needs re-directing, first leave this to the teacher. If you actively assert your authority in class, this can be confusing for the children and actually inhibit their musical exploration. As long as the child is not disturbing other children, just sit back. If for some reason, your child becomes a distraction for the other children, simply and calmly take him out to re-group.
- During the week: Listen, listen, listen to music, sing, dance, read aloud to each other! This is your family’s homework.
- Our faculty are certified to teach music to the very young. We have lots to share with you!
- Minimesters are 6 weeks long, one 30 to 45-minute class per week. Tuition is $75.
Cancellations and make-ups: Each class is a learning experience unto itself, so missing a class here and there does not damage the learning process. Generally, makeup classes are not provided, unless your child misses a large number of classes. This will be addressed on a case-by-case basis. Refunds are not available.
We look forward to watching your children grow in so many ways! We welcome your questions, comments, and lovely stories!
Academy Contact Information: Cathy Pescevich Kreplin, Co-director firstname.lastname@example.org 252-955-0706
Ascencion Music Academy 115 W. Oregon Avenue, Kill Devil Hills NC 27948